It is half term and my boys are getting bored so we decided to do some baking! We chose to make banana muffins as we had some bananas that were on the ripe side, but we wanted to make them exciting without adding too much sugar.
I had just received my new My Protein order with some of my favourite FlavourDrops and low and behold, I had ordered toffee flavour! ‘How do you fancy trying banana and toffee muffins?’ I asked my eldest, Luca. ‘YES!’ was his reply and so we did.
This is the perfect recipe to get your little ones involved, it is super simple and the outcome tastes delicious without being overly sweet, making them a great mid morning or afternoon snack. For other, healthy snack ideas, visit my blog post here.
Here is what you will need for my refined sugar-free muffins:
- Toffee flavour, sugar free drops or syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 2 egg whites
- 250ml greek or natural yogurt
- 300 g wholemeal, self rasing flour
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 over ripe bananas
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Mash your bananas until they are as smooth as possible.
- Combine the banana with eggs, yogurt and olive oil.
4. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
5. Make a well in the middle and pour the wet ingredients in to it.
6. Add the flavour drops and combine well – kids love this part!
7. Spoon even amounts in to 12 muffin cases.
8. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
And there you have them! Let them cool before serving but they are delicious served slightly warm, especially with a dollop of yogurt or creme fraiche!
Enjoy, my kids did – before and after cooking 🙂
This was brought to you by Rebecca Flannery, Evidence Based Nutritionist.