A curry isn’t a curry without some tasty sides but we all know how the calories can soon add up! Here are a couple of options that you can make at home that are super healthy, super simple and of course, super tasty! They are the perfect accompaniment to my low-cal chicken curry 🙂
Raita dip with Poppadoms
This recipe uses low calorie, high protein yogurt and microwave poppadoms to keep calories low without compromising flavour.
1 pot (170g) o% fat Total Greek yogurt
1 tsp mint sauce concentrate
1 garlic clove
handful of mint leaves
Mini microwave poppadoms
- Dice your cucumber and chop the garlic
- Put the yogurt in a bowl, add the cucumber and garlic then mix thoroughly
- Stir through the mint concentrate (i prefer concentrate as you require less for more flavour but you can use ordinary mint sauce)
- Squeeze the lime in to the mixture
- Tear and add in the mint leaves and give a good stir
- Microwave the desired number of poppadoms for 1 minute
- Pile the poppadoms on a plate and serve with the raita
Indian Spiced Vegetables
This is a really simple, fresh side dish that provides essential vitamins and minerals as well as plenty of fibre to keep you fuller for longer. You could reduce your rice portion and have these as part of your main to cut down on overall calories. You can also substitute the veg – I sometimes use aubergine and courgette or broccoli.
1 head of cauliflower
1 pack of green beans
1 tbsp garam masala
- Trim your beans and break your cauliflower in to florets
- Boil or steam (steaming is better as it maintains more nutrients) until cooked but still crunchy
- Drain, mix through the garam masala and then serve!
This recipe was brought to you by Rebecca Flannery, Evidence Based Nutritionist