This recipe makes enough for 6 portions and is ready in 1 hr 20 mins. Serve with a nice, green side salad.
500g pack 5% fat beef mince
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stick
diced 2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tins chopped tomatoes
350ml skimmed milk
1 tbsp cornflour
250g lighter soft cheese i.e. philadelphia
75g lighter mature Cheddar, grated
9 lasagne sheets
Fresh basil – optional
1. Dry fry the onion, carrot and celery for 8-10 minutes, until golden and tender. Season, add the mince and garlic and cook for a further 5-6 minutes until browned all over.
2. Stir in chopped and purée tomatoes, add a good splash of water and add this to the pan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10-12 minutes
3. Meanwhile, mix 2 tbsp of the milk with the cornflour into a paste. Pour the remaining milk into a pan, bring to a simmer. Stir in the cornflour paste and soft cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened, then stir in the cheese – save some for the top of the lasagne.
4. Spread a third of the meat sauce over the base of an 18cm baking dish. Top with 3 of the lasagne sheets, then a third of the white sauce. Continue with the rest of the ingredients, before sprinkling over the reserved cheese.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C/gas mark 6 for 35-40 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
6. Top with some fresh basil – optional