Here is my recipe for spicy bean and quinoa burgers that are protein packed and super healthy! They make a nutritious, meat free, mid week meal that kids will love and are super easy too.
To make 6 burgers, you will need the following:
- 2 tins of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried coriander
- ½ tsp chilli powder (you can add more but i kept it mild for my boys)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a pan and cook onions and garlic until soft.
- Add carrots and all the spices and cook until the carrot is soft, take off the heat.
- In a bowl, mash the beans then add the soy sauce, quinoa and pan ingredients.
- Give it a good mix!
- Make 6 burgers out of the mixture.
- Put them on a plate and refrigerate for an hour, until nice and firm.
- Cook them in a pre-heated oven for 30 mins or so, until golden and crisp.
- Serve with some salad in some fresh whole meal buns. If you would like a gluten free version, use gluten free bread.
I made 6 small burgers but you could make 4 larger ones if you have older children. Either way, they are the perfect way to make dinner time fun whilst ensuring that your little ones are getting plenty of the fibre, vitamins and minerals their growing bodies and brains require!
I hope you enjoy xx
This was brought to you by Rebecca Flannery from Transformational Nutrition