These super healthy, rice crispie bites make the perfect mid morning or after school snack! Who doesn’t have fond, childhood memories of yummy rice crispie cakes? They were a staple in my house, probably because they were a super simple, cheap treat for my Mum to whip up.
As a mum now myself, I want my kids to have the same fond memories but wanted to create a version that would satisfy their nutritional requirements a little better. So, I came up with this delicious take that doesn’t sacrifice flavour.
Recreating childhood memories that are healthy but still taste great!
Instead of using marshmallows, I have used ripe bananas and peanut butter. I have also added some oats – these will slowly release energy that will help to sustain our little ones for longer than 5 minutes! The addition of these ingredients also provides protein, fibre and healthy fats making them a balanced snack that will keep them (and you…) fuller for longer. You could also include some chia or flaxseed for an additional boost.
Now, in order to make sure that they still taste great and appeal, I have added a decadent drizzle of dark chocolate on top! YUMMY……
To ensure that I am keeping in theme with making things affordable, I have sourced the majority of my ingredients from ALDI. This demonstrates how healthy treats can be simple, quick, easy AND cheap.
Healthy treats do not have to cost the earth!
They really are great for kids and adults alike!
- 3 over ripe bananas
- 1 sachet of quick cook oats
- 2-3 cups of rice crispies
- couple of drops of Flavour Drops (optional; I used vanilla but white chocolate would also work well)
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 20g of dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Mash bananas until smooth.
- Add peanut butter and stir well.
- Add rice crispies, oats and Flavour Drops and combine until everything is well covered.
- Spoon the mixture in to a lined or greased baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or so, until golden brown. Leave to cool slightly.
- Heat the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of bowling water until melted/
- Drizzle this on top of the rice crispie cake.
- Refrigerate until chocolate has solidified.
- Cut in to slices or bites and serve!